Triggered by the book Start with Why by SimonÂ SinekÂ few weeks ago, I wrote the blog titledÂ Changing Healthcare One BITTâ„¢ at a Time about WHY the Biomedical Informatics Think Tankâ„¢ exists: to contribute to the building of a digital infrastructure that supports theÂ Learning Health System as defined by the Institute of Medicine. Â The question here is HOW the BITTâ„¢ will attain this objective:
- BITTâ„¢ will produce content that reflects the expertise and creative ideas of its academic members, promoting their ability to contribute to a New Exchange Architecture (see Content Intentions);
- BITTâ„¢ will create innovative solutions that provide novel approaches to health information management which insures personal health information privacy and allows ease of health information access by authorized individuals;
- BITTâ„¢ will recruit the leading thinkers in academia as members to develop and test these innovative solutions, continuously driving the technology forward;
- BITTâ„¢ will partner with the academic institutions of its members to leverage their exceptional intellectual manpower, advanced facilities, and close ties to medical centers who might pilot the innovative solutions;
- BITTâ„¢ will partner with private institutions, both for-profit and not-for-profit, to find the most effective means of implementing these innovative solutions;
- BITTâ„¢ will obtain funding through a wide array of vehicles and from both public and private sources, providing consulting to organizations that benefit from BITTâ„¢ expertise and resources, obtaining government grants and contracts for developing various innovative projects and pilots, spinning-off non-profits to support the infrastructure required to provide the innovative solutions, and investing in businesses that develop applications which use this infrastructure; and
- BITTâ„¢ will reward independence of its workforce and partners who strive to establish attainable goals that transforms the health information management infrastructure.
If we implement BITTâ„¢ as proposed above, BITTâ„¢ will be successful because its members, academic and non-academic partners, employees, and sponsors will all benefit by advancing their careers or missions, and by unquestionably being part of a transformation of the modern health system.
Biomedical Informatics Think Tankâ„¢ and BITTâ„¢ are trademarks of Projectivity, Inc. Â The Biomedical Informatics Think Tankâ„¢ is a division of Projectivity, Inc.